Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[BWC]: An Artist's Ambition Draft #1

College Essay Prompt 1:
Describe the world you come from — for example, your family, community or school — and tell us how your world has shaped your dreams and aspirations.

 Cultural values and traditions are passed on from one generation to the next through written or oral stories.  So when my parents and older relatives did not share their past with me, I decided to take an independent approach towards learning my roots.  At age thirteen I began this endeavor watching Asian documentaries, which introduced me to stories and lessons that neither my family nor school ever exposed me to. 


  Asian films and music delineated how Chinese culture is truly unique and special. I grew up playing piano, but always complained about how complex it was to understand, learn, and memorize music.  I was enchanted as I watched how young Chinese acrobats dedicate their whole life to train day and night until they master their art, which reflects the daunting courage and diligent charisma of humans.  I was inspired to be patient and opened my devotion to practice.

Throughout my adolescence, I lived somewhat of a sheltered life outside of school and academics.  Having been the son of a CPA for a computer tech corporation, my aesthetic for music was not always appreciated nor fully supported by my father.  Soon after my father's disapprove in pursuing musical arts, I suppressed creative side of my mind and focused my attention on school work.  At critical moment of my childhood, I became very depressed and worried for what I would have as a career in the future.  

When adults share their stories, they inspire me by their approach towards life.  Their stories are often based upon their experiences, which is why they are so appealing to listen to.  It was during my summer in 2008, that I watched a peculiar animated fantasy film called "Spirited Away". The film had been written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and film score composed by Joe Hisaishi, two people who would impact me the most both as a musician and an artist.  Spirited Away combined both the works of these two amazingly talented, well recognized artists into a beautifully animated film. It was a film that exposed me to the sheer magnitude of unhampered, raw imagination, and that was behind innovative works of art.  It provided an overwhelming experience that immersed me into its story with a beautiful blend of music and vivid atmosphere.  

I realized that like many other struggling artists, both Miyazaki and Hisaishi received their own setbacks, criticism, and rejection throughout their careers.  Their stories emphasized that if I follow what I do or am passionate in, I would eventually meet my desired profession to become both an artist and as a musician.  Miyazaki and Hisaishi's success also taught me that more importantly than making your own mistakes whether it's in art or life is learning and moving on from them.  It is behind those words that I continue to persist in my dream of working with animation and providing accommodating music composition during my high school years.  I am constantly refining my craft, in hope of creating a world that can elicit emotions and touch someone's imagination the way Miyazaki and Hisaishi did with mine.  Although I know I will encounter my own struggles and possibly failures along the journey, I have the spirit and courage to face hardships that will arise as an artist. 




-543 words

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You'd like to go into animation too? I am so excited to hear this. It is difficult for me to find others my age who are interested in my preferred major.
    I hope to get into CalArt's Character Animation program next year. I hope you'll keep us updated on your music and animation projects :)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah that's awesome! I don't usually meet people from school that are gung-ho about animation either. I was considering UCSC or Academy of Arts in San Fran, but overall I'm unsure which colleges would accommodate both of my interests. I'll definitely take a look into CalArts and thanks for the support. Although I'm probably going to restrict my blogs, just for the sake that this is a class blog and not a personal one. But hopefully I'll see you around school some time and we can chat and best of luck with your admission!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, maybe also consider SCAD? I know they have a good sequential art program, anyway! Yes you too!

    ReplyDelete