Monday, October 24, 2011

[Free] Party Problems

Saturday morning, my very close friend/partner called and asked me whether I would be willing to do a public gig with him in San Francisco.  Although hesitant at first, he warmed me up to the idea and I went.  Normally, I'm opposed to running a show publicly because I have no idea how many people will show up and in the past we've had issues dealing with a large crowd.  I tend to be more self-conscious about what I do on stage or whether I have good chemistry with a large audience.  Also, a majority of the people we've preformed for are actually older than me, usually up to 7-10 years older, which at times can be very intimidating.  

Secondly, we usually allow people to crowd around us, so on occasions it has gotten pretty rambunctious on stage. Initially, I've had to individually encase our computers with plastic wrap because I tend to sweat profusely through my palms, but now we've needed to go to more lengths to protect our tech and not just my disgusting sweating habits.  In the few public shows, people have knocked down or accidentally spilled drinks on our equipment.  We've actually have had to end a show prematurely because we couldn't function under such hectic circumstances.  It's a major bummer to disappoint the people who attended.  Now we've both been considering regulations and rules as to what people can do onstage without restricting having fun.  In some cases, we've resorted to bubble wrapping some of the equipment and allowing no drinks.  It's actually has gotten quite fun for us to come up with our own solutions to problems and see how things turn out.

I actually had a really great time preforming in front of maybe over 200 people (which is a LOT more than what I'm used to).   I think coming up with those solutions have put less stress on my mind during performances and worrying about our equipment, so I can better concentrate on the music. Slowly, I'll be easing myself into performing at larger parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment